When Canadian company Off Grid Trailers (OGT) first opened their doors in 2010 during a time of growing demand for smaller, off-road trailers, their intention was to create a product that was durable, reliable and made to last.
It meant they had to take a completely new approach.
The first thing they did was to shed the conventional aluminum-skin-over-wood-frame construction of older trailers and replace it with an all-aluminum frame. This makes it lighter as well as mold and mildew resistant.
The original Expedition and Pando prototypes included not only an all-aluminum frame but also a ton of features and options that totally raised the off-road/overland experience up a notch or two. Both designs have since evolved to a refined 2nd-gen design.
In addition to these ongoing improvements, OGT recently introduced the newest member of their family of products: The Switchback. This appropriately named off-road trailer meets a special need in the overland community. The smaller, lightweight frame allows for more agility while on the trail.
Additionally, the tow-friendly construction – complete with its unique tent-topper layout and OGT’s usual list of options, including solar power, slide-out BBQ and Jeep-matched wheels – makes for one sweet solution for adventurers who want all the creature comforts of the original Expedition but in a smaller, lighter package.
To give you some idea of what you can get with the new Switchback:
- Two galley configurations: Switchback R – (rear) or Switchback S – (side)
- Pro Comp 15×8.5 wheels with Pro Comp AT off-road tires
- Timbren 3500HD Axle-Less suspension with 4-inch lift, 12-inch Electric Brakes and Hopkins break away with battery backup
- Powder-coated aluminum body construction
- Single 12V deep cycle group 31 battery, twin dual USB outlets and digital voltmeter display
- LED lighting package
- Solar ready port
- Electrical package
- Fridge size/upgrade
- Exterior mounted Bluetooth stereo system with dual marine 6.5-inch speakers
- 1750W modified sine or pure sine wave 1000/2000W options
- Maxcoupler articulating hitch
- 5x5 pattern Jeep wheel package (Pro Comp wheel, Toyo tire upgrade)
- 23Zero roof-top tent selections
- Water package
- Storage package
- Mini BBQ
- Front storage tray
- Spare tire
- Stabilizing jacks
- Portable solar
- 23Zero awning selections
You might have noticed that OGT uses Timbren’s 3500HD Axle-Less suspension. “HD” stands for Heavy Duty. The HD models were designed specifically for trailers that go off-road. Compared to their regular-duty counterparts, Axle-Less HD models can stand up to the increased demands of off-road/overland terrain, the kind of trails that Switchback owners will want to encounter.
Right from the get-go, OGT did their research and eventually chose to install Timbren’s Axle-Less suspension on all their trailers, including the Switchback. Check out this video on their website and you’ll get a better idea as to why they insist on using the Axle-Less trailer suspension exclusively.
Visit Off Grid Trailers website for tons more info: Offgridtrailers.com